2011
These past few weeks, we were bombarded with graphic images of public unrest in the Middle East and a natural disaster in Japan. These events definitely made us contemplate about the future and I won't be surprised if we find ourselves praying for the victims and survivors of these events. The world, for a few moments, was united in prayer.
Why do wait for a disaster or tragic event to make us bow our heads and pray for us and our fellow men? What do we pray for in the first place?
Prosperity? Stable job? Pay raise? New car? Good health? A US Visa? I admit that until recently, I am one of the many that prays for the same things. Who wouldn't, right? Well apparently, not my Tita Beth.
![]() |
| Tita Beth and Tito Ben |
Tita Beth is a balikbayan from Canada. She is the older sister of my late father and it has been more than 20 years since she last went home. Earlier this afternoon, she told me 3 things she prays for that made a profound impact on my perspective in life.
Tita Beth told us that she prays only for 3 things.
1. The forgiveness of sins.
The last time I prayed for this was this morning via the Lord's prayer. A memorized prayer, yes. But how many of us consciously acknowledge that we have sinned and done wrong and genuinely ask for forgiveness for the sins we have made and for the things we have failed to do? We have grown so arrogant that we don't see things in black and white anymore. We always say that there are gray areas. When faced with a moral decision, we tend to rationalize questionable choices with excuses that are convenient for us. My favorite excuse is, "as long as you do not hurt someone". We do not take responsibilities for actions anymore. Because of mass media and influence from the West, committing sin is now fun, cool and pleasurable. We have become compromising due to our own technological and cultural advances. I am guilty of this and its time I sincerely do something about it.
2. A Graceful Death
I recall a particular Sunday sermon when the priest asked who would like to go to heaven, obviously, all the parishioners raised their hands. Then the priest asked who wants to die, not surprisingly, nobody raised a single hand. Gee, thus far, I have only met a handful of persons who actually pray for a Graceful death. Most of us will pray for good health and longest life to enjoy whatever earthly possession we have. As a people, we are deeply attached to everything that is of this earth. As Catholics we often forget that the most important thing for us Christians is what comes after death... eternal life with God. We all know that we have to face and accept death to achieve this. And what a very good way to die is by a graceful death, swift and painless. And finally...
3. Treasure in Heaven.
Lets face it, all of us are asking for prosperity here on earth, but have we really asked God to help us build our treasure in heaven? In Matthew 6:19 to 21, Jesus said,
Unless you doubt that there is a God, then this is the only treasure I want for myself, treasure that will never rot nor will never be robbed. Of course, this is not literal treasure but rather a representation of immortal life. Rick Warren said that our lifetime is just a single wink vis-a-vis immortal life. Would you rather be rich now and lose immortality forever?
Starting now, these will be on the top priority of things that I will pray for. Of course I will also pray for the finer things in life but these 3 will be always on the top of the list. Isn't it time they also make yours?
Fast forward 2017
Approaching 50, I realized how these 3 things matter more today than they did 6 years ago. Of course, I still pray for a better healthier life and more prosperity. Guilty of wanting more, I still pray for a newer and bigger house, a bigger car, more high tech gadgets and more travels here and abroad. But then, you are slapped in the face with the grim reality that at your age, you are already losing friends and families within your generation. My younger cousin Sharon just died this year and she's not even in her forties. Then it dawned on me, will I ever be ready to face the one thing that is inevitable in life? Tonight, as I write this article, might be the last day I spend with my loving wife and family. But do I already have my spot in heaven let alone my treasures? Will I go out gracefully or with a loud and painful bang?
I am a Christian who received the grace of our Lord Jesus through His perfect sacrifice and finished works. I believe all of my sins are already forgiven, the past, the present, and the future. I am not sinless but the Lord is my Judge and my Advocate. I still pray for a graceful death but I ask more time to serve my loved ones.
Will I ever be ready to meet my Maker? Honestly, I want to say yes but I actually don't know. So how will I reconcile praying for a peaceful death versus not yet ready to die? Perhaps, I should add this to my list of things to pray for starting today. I pray for acceptance of death anytime when the Lord calls my name.
When you are at peace with what is to come, everything else becomes more important. Tonight, I look at my wife with more love than yesterday. Tomorrow, if I wake up, she will be the first person I will see to share another graceful day I don't deserve. That is why its called the present, its a gift.




No comments:
Post a Comment